Mittwoch, August 14, 2013

My Answers to the Top 10 Troll Questions

Questions asked by Random Wizard (read the comments for some answers.) Some blogs I read:
Swords&Dorkery
The Nine and Thirty Kingdoms (questions not tagged, so browse the blog's archive a little. It's worth it.)
Dungeons Deep & Caverns Old
Alex Schroeder

What is a Troll, and why do they ask so many questions about RPGs?
  1. Race (Elf, Dwarf, Halfling) as a class? Yes or no? No.
  2. Do demi-humans have souls? Role-playing game characters are mini-memes infesting the brains of the players. Neither human, nor demi-human player characters have souls. One can argue, however, that they do form the soul of the player; but then, the mere mentioning of players having something remotely resembling souls is - ridiculous, to say the least.
  3. Ascending or descending armor class? I go with the ascending AC of Basic Fantasy; but would choose descending with Swords&Wizardry.
  4. Demi-human level limits? Nope. Or maybe. But give the 1st-level elves, and dwarves aged 50 to 167-something a decent set of Secondary Skills at a reasonably high skill level.
  5. Should thief be a class? It already is.
  6. Do characters get non-weapon skills? Secondary Skills, yes.
  7. Are magic-users more powerful than fighters (and, if yes, what level do they take the lead)? I couldn't care less. If they are, fine. In a fantasy game, why shouldn't they? Fighters do the rough work for magic-users who secretly rule the game world, and get to make out with the Lady-Demons of the Abyss.
  8. Do you use alignment languages? No, although I like the idea of a Fantasy setting where alignment languages work. Also, there is no alignment in Basic Fantasy.
  9. XP for gold, or XP for objectives (thieves disarming traps, etc...)? XP for gold, and some objectives.
  10. Which is the best edition; ODD, Holmes, Moldvay, Mentzer, Rules Cyclopedia, 1E ADD, 2E ADD, 3E DD, 4E DD, Next ? I really like 2e ADD with just the core rules and a bunch of house-rules. I owned the Mentzer B/E/C/M rules, and loved the boxes. Never played it, though. I liked the Companion Rules best. Because of the color, and the illustrations. And I like the word 'companion'. That's why I love my Risus Companion Rules, too. And my Mora Companion knife. Companion is a friendly word. I think I'd like to write and publish some kind of Companion-Something one day. Lore is another fine word. The Mad-Kyndalanth Companion of Lore would make a nice title.
  11. Bonus Question: Unified XP level tables or individual XP level tables for each class? I tend to say unified XP level tables, and single saving throws, because it's simpler; but I think that it feels right that some classes have to gain more XP to advance a level and gain in fame and power.

Keine Kommentare: